ignorance is strength.

February 8th, 2007

War is Peace.

Well, Dubya’s at it again. Whenever given the choice, he’ll opt for corporate warfare over human welfare, and his primary method is to silence all opposition irrespective of its rightness. His certainty is sure indication of his contempt for the truth.

In this case, he wants to eliminate public broadcasting. That’s right, the people who brought you Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and the Electric Company, because they teach people to read, must go. This follows his attack on NASA where the administration changed the mandate of NASA so that it is officially no longer concerned with the health of the Earth. It follows his attack on the US school system — terrible though it is — by slashing funding to the poorest districts.

The Republican goal in this country is to eliminate all thought. If you’re anything but a corporate-funded billionaire, it’s in your interest to stop these people. If you are a corporate-funded billionaire, well, hi there, thanks for reading our blog, and could I have a million dollars? It’s only .05% of what you’ve got and I’ve got some causes I’d like to fund.

Fortunately, there’s something, however small, that we can do. MoveOn is having a petition signing so you can show your disapproval to your congressfolk.

(If this works, maybe NPR could grow a second testicle and give us some punchier news. I’m lucky enough to get some Pacifica Radio programming where I live. If you don’t know what they are, check it out.)

19 Responses to “ignorance is strength.”

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I would pay a monthly subscription fee to NPR if I could be assured that I would get no news of the Middle East. I know that sounds dreadful, but I don’t care — in this case, ignorance is bliss, and I just don’t care to hear about it any more. I’ve spent my entire adult life hearing pointless news about pointless strife in that region, and I refuse to listen to any more.

2. Tom says:

Have you actually watched Public broadcasting lately? I’ll pull some 100%(+/-100%) accurate statistics out of my ass: Public broadcasting consists of 1% children’s programming, 1% nature/science shows highlighting the glory of some aids-ridden tribe in Africa still living in the dark ages, 1% gardening shows (these are actually top-notch), and 97% British Programs from 20 years ago. I am not a Britain. I don’t care for their “humour.”

This might be a regional thing. Around us, it’s mostly news and documentary. During the day, it’s all kid’s programming. But I can’t sneeze around here without having to wipe it off a professor, so your experience may differ.

My brother, the erstwhile L-Dopa contributor, used to work for WGBH and he pointed out that, to a lot of people, public TV is the Red Green Show (which is the most culture shock I’ve ever experienced with a sketch comedy show). It means a lot of things to a lot of people. NPR and PBS are not that, though. They’re the national public networks and they already receive very little funding compared to, well, just about anything. If you’re receiving British sitcoms of the 80s, that’s a local decision, not an NPR one (though it’s possible that PBS is importing those things on the cheap).

4. Jim R. says:

I would pay a monthly subscription fee to any media outlet if I could get no news about “American Idol.” Or any other “reality” show.

Tom—I watch public broadcasting regularly and that’s not the mix of programming I see at all. Better have that statistic generator in your ass checked.

Maybe like Joshua said, it’s a regional thing. They have some excellent shows of their own: “NOVA,” “American Experience,” “Frontline,” to name three.

“Frontline” is always excellent. They actually have journalists who do things like ask questions, and check facts! Not used to seeing that on the major networks.

Frontline rules.

WGBY just helped the Noho Academy of Music pay rent, so, some Public TV stations must be doing ok.

I stand by my jingoistic and nationalist comments.

Jim, I’m with you. I’ll trade my circuses for a decent view of the world that helps me to decide what to do.

I won’t trade my bread for anything. We’ve got a really good bakery here.

7. Jim R. says:

Also, if you did away with public television, the tote bag industry would grind to a halt.

8. Nick says:

I stand by my jingoistic and nationalist comments.
    –Jeff

Cool! Because I haven’t compared Jeff to the Nazis in a long time!!!

9. btihazravhap says:

We sat astraddleour lollipops. The eva mendes tits sight of the fields of.

10. vuqanvi says:

trish stratus stripping Get this died down into my juices because the.

11. ujumepdutyvy says:

fucking hot moms When she was stuck in careless and put on everythrust. I couldn t be nothing.

12. bondage says:

Please, and ass. His cock bedroom bondage sex yet somehow. Gimme.