20 features the next iphone software revision needs

January 15th, 2007

Twenty features the next iPhone software revision needs:

1. MobileiChat app. It doesn’t need to do VoIP, but should speak AIM and Jabber. That is literally the one thing I miss about my 1.0.2 hacked iPhone.

2. MobileRSS app — although now that Google Reader has a pretty snappy iPhone friendly mobile version, maybe this is somewhat moot. An online/offline RSS reader would be such a great fit for the iPhone, and Apple needs to step up their RSS offerings considerably. The crappy web implementation (that apes the crappy DesktopSafari implementation) totally doesn’t cut it.

3. The iPhone needs a Calendar that can subscribe to online .ics files directly. It’s ridiculous that I need to keep iCal running and sync my iPhone periodically to keep my appointments intact. What is this, PALM DESKTOP (zing!)?

4. Photos should be able to be put in albums directly on the phone, and deleting photos should be a faster, batch enabled process. It takes about five tries to get a good picture of a moving object, and deleting those four failed shots is a laborious chore.

5. Camera: It might be nice if there was an option to map the shutter click to a hardware button — “volume up”, for example. The software button is hard to deal with, and the whole “picture is taken when you let up on the trigger button” is odd.

6. YouTube Bookmarks should sync with a user’s online YouTube Favorites list.

7. Stocks should have the ability to enter a rudimentary portfolio ala Google Finance. I need to know how much money I’m losing on my sh*tty Sony stock on a daily basis.

8. Maps is so good! but cruelly missing actual GPS functionality. Even if this functionality could be faked using cell phone tower signals, it would be worth it. Present in 1.1.3 update!

9. It might be nifty if the Clock could have a pop-up menu for programmable, preset countdown timers, like 9 minutes for “Pasta” or 60 minutes for “Lunch break”. But otherwise, it’s done.

10. Some of my nerdier friends lament the lack of an “Advanced” mode in Calculator, and certainly unit and measurement conversions might be handy, but I actually kind of like the simplicity of the existing Calculator app. So leave that alone and add an “Advanced” tab.

11. Notes: so lame. If this could sync to a wik or set of pages online like 37 Signal’s “Ta-Da” lists or something, it might be worth it. I imagine this will get better in Leopard when it syncs to Mail.app, but even then, it won’t be very useful. They should just ditch it and write a Google Docs client. Then we’re talking.

12. Unless I’m missing something, Settings needs a “Clear all known networks” function in the Wi-fi panel to avoid the odd issue where you hook up to a open wifi network without a password and then encounter the same network with a password later. Commenters have pointed out that you can clear the network in the panel, but that tab is only available after you’ve logged in and joined the network. Right? Right? I might be way off here.UPDATE: I’m missing something. You can clear the network right from the iPhone network setting.

13. Mobile iTunes needs direct video download, OBVIOUSLY, but also it could use a tab listing the iTunes Store freebies of the week. That would hook people into and get people used to using it, I imagine.
  14. Also, the ability to read the actual album reviews (and not just tease the user with the number of reviews) would be useful.

15. Mail needs a “Mark all as read” function for those of us still on POP3. Landscape mode would be nice if only for the larger input keyboard.

16. MobileSafari: Is it me or is there no way to open a window in a new “tab” (actually, “tab” doesn’t quite work here, actually, so I call them “cards” — it seems to me like the extra windows slide around in the background like cards in a magic trick). Pressing on a link pops up a cute notifier that tells you where the link goes — maybe multi-touching on that pop-up could open a new card?

17. Also: inline Flash 9 support, especially now that Flash is starting to support H.264 video. Cripes, if Nokia can do it, Apple can pull it off.

18. iPod: Contrary to what Apple says, the iPhone/iPod touch is notthe best iPod ever. I find CoverFlow to be essentially useless and I wish it would just go away. But worse than that, I’m annoyed by the fact that I can’t just drop media on the iPhone icon in iTunes to move it over. Instead I have to designate a playlist as my “iPhone” playlist, put the media there, and sync? And even then, I have to explicitly enable videos one at a time? This is all quite weird. I really liked it much better when I could just drop the media on the icon for my 5G iPod and be done with it.UPDATE: added in 1.1.3 update!
  19. And: why can’t I subscribe to and download podcasts directly from the device? For that matter, why do I have to hook the iPhone up via USB at all? The new Zunes have some (but not all) of this “wireless syncing” stuff figured out. Apple needs to untether the iPhone from iTunes a little bit, or Microsoft’s third Zune revision might actually get off the bench and start scoring some points.

20. Finally: the iPhone should be able to provide internet to my laptop. Other phones can via bluetooth DUN profiles, so why not the iPhone? In fact, I’ll do you one better and suggest a very Apple-ish implementation: the iPhone should work as a mobile wi-fi hotspot and DHCP router, so not only my Mac laptop could get internet, but my girlfriend’s PC laptop could get also internet at the same time. Now that would be cool, and given the iPhone’s OS X underpinnings, not that hard to engineer at all.

~Jeff

(iPhone pic of Jon Klein’s iPhone)

27 Responses to “20 features the next iphone software revision needs”

1. Read original article.1 read

P.S.: post 1,337! woooo!

3. […] beth wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerpt Twenty features the next iPhone software revision needs: MobileiChat app. It doesn’t need to do VoIP, but should speak AIM and Jabber. That is literally the one thing I miss about my 1.0.2 hacked iPhone. MobileRSS app — although now that Google Reader has a pretty snappy iPhone friendly mobile version, maybe this is somewhat moot Posted in ldopa.net ( 58 links from 37 sites) by jeffehobbs […]

4. […] unknown wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptMobileRSS app — although now that Google Reader has a pretty snappy iPhone friendly mobile version, maybe this is somewhat moot. An online/offline RSS reader would be such a great fit for the iPhone, and Apple needs to step up their RSS … […]

5. […] 20 features the next iphone software revision needs Twenty features the next iPhone software revision needs: MobileiChat app. It doesn’t need to do VoIP, but should speak AIM and Jabber. That is literally the one thing I miss about my 1.0.2 hacked iPhone. MobileRSS app — although now that Google Reader has a pretty snappy iPhone friendly … […]

6. Trace says:

Thanks for this rundown! Not having an iPhone (yet!) I still have a lot of questions… I googled around for about a half an hour earlier, trying to get an answer to the question that you just answered in #20.

It would seem totally doable to have the iPhone function as a wi-fi hotspot, for those of us designers who like to work on websites while on family vacation in the middle of nowhere (avoidance?). The thing is not that much smaller than an AirTunes unit.

7. Nenele says:

How about offline storage and reading for files? pdf, word, excel and text? Sync them with the PC / Mac?

8. Trace says:

How about an onboard electric shaver? Oh, you said software. Never mind.

9. Argle Bargle says:

And cheese fries.

10. Ben says:

19. Sports metaphor!

11. Netwalrus says:

MOST Important Missing FEATURE required in next update is for the iphone to be able to operate as a file storage device. It will never be as good as the Palm TREO which could take on a 4GB card that could double up as a USB memory card as well. However, just adding the ability to even use the docking station to move files between the laptop and the iphone would be a tremendous help (no, i am not talking about music files. For those in the business world, we have a lot of files that we need to take around with us and we need to have a storage).

12. Mike says:

I am shocked that nobody has mentioned sending the same text message to more than one contact. Perhaps this is a European thing, but I (used to) send the same message to multiple contacts all the time for all sorts of reasons. I’m shocked by this obvious omission.

13. Joel says:

Wow you guys have your priorities mixed up…. How about basic search capability for contacts??? Or the ability to sync notes to sticky notes on OSx. I can’t believe that didn’t happen with Leopard!

14. […] and its … http://www.psionplace.com/articles/2007/7/2007-7-10-Will-... [Found on Ask.com] 13. ldopa.net » archive » 20 features the next iphone software … MOST Important Missing FEATURE required in next update is for the iphone to be able to operate as […]

15. Michael says:

I am just barely willing to accept the downgrade with slow EDGE data speeds(obviously I purchased the phone), but What about MMS functionality and SMS Forwarding with multiple contacts? we should be able to simply click on any bubble and have a list of available options!
    And the camera should create instant send-able quicktime video files!
    It is embarrassing that i cant easily open MMSs that others send to me… This phone was definitely not quite ready for the tech-savvy market that such a cool design appeals to….

16. Lynn says:

You left out the #1 most important feature that the iPhone needs – in fact, this is SO obvious that it is LAME for Apple to have crapped it…. HOW ABOUT SMS Picture Messaging? DUH? Every junk $29 phone on the market does it — what are we paying $399 for? PLEASE!!!!!!

17. mihail says:

when i bought my iphone i was thinking that is great phone ,but it isn’t :(( i returned back this iphone
    why it don’t have so many options ,like camcorder ,to download something from internet,foto albums ,to copy some video from PC without video converter, is not enough energy (to use more hours on day listen music ,watch video or…..) and so many things don’t have

18. nay says:

Multiple contact text message. Voice dial. There are many things this phone does, but can we get some basic functionality.

19. jeb says:

Multiple contact messaging. Being able to save attachments from emails and web pages. SMS and MMS messaging. Please Apple hear us so I don’t have to go buyxa Palm.

20. Ofel says:

Come on don’t tell me that u don’t need copy and past

21. Matt says:

i want to know why the keyboard will flip sideways in safari…but not in sms texting? my fat fingers love surfing the internet and then are very constricted when messaging.

22. Rocco says:

I believe one of the most obvious features missing, aside from the inability to multiple contact messaging, is the ability to delete multiple emails at one time. Deleting mail one at time is extremely tedious and rather elementary.

23. Nickkk says:

good god you are so picky!!! you have an iPhone the best cell avalible.. and its not like you can design those features in a day (and some are riducouls. jeeeez i like my iphone .just.the.way.it.is.

24. gadget! says:

I second the sideways texting keyboard and the gps portion of maps being added.

25. May I know more about some free grant applications online from you guys?

26. been following your blog i like the posts, thanks for the helpful information. Also, I am looking for e-mail, voip, callthrough, sms providers in Germany.