nintendo wii

April 27th, 2006

UGH; the Nintendo Revolution is now named the Nintendo Wii

…”Nintendo Wii”? Like, how do you even say that out loud? Has Nintendo been getting name suggestions from open-source developers? I guess the thing to keep in mind is that I thought “iPod” was a dumb name when I first heard it, and these days, people name their newborn children “iPod mini”, so what do I know.

11 Responses to “nintendo wii”

1. Jon Land says:

It looks like a reusable ink stamp on a slant.

But that only makes sense, as the launch titles so far are rumored to be:

• Tony Hawk’s Extreme Paperwork Explosion
    • Kirby’s Magical Mail Merge
    • Mario Amortization Party 3
  3. Jon Land says:

What, no anniversary edition of Paperboy?

You know, this really doesn’t bother me. It’s recognizable, it’s pronounced “we”, which is kinda neat (even though it has pissplay connotations….

Well, maybe it’s not the best name they could have chosen, but….

Hm. The pissplay thing is a problem.

The thing that bugs me about it is that there’s no clearcut way by looking at it to determine how to pronouce it. Is it:

Weee

or

Weye?

The PR tells us that it’s “weee” as in pissplay, but who else besides us Nerds of The Internet read press releases?

The name could be better, is what I’m saying.

6. cauley says:

You guys are all tramping around the obvious. It should be called the Nintendo Pissplay. No confusion there. And talk about games! Finally a good use for that vynil Power Pad!

7. Jon Land says:

How about pronouncing it as “why” as in: Why?!?!

8. Tom says:

You know, somehow I am not really bothered (or surprised for that matter) by the name.. The silly remote control-thingy-controller does irk me a bit though. It is just the attitude of the whole thing: “You will adapt your style of play for what we think you should like.” Suck it Nintendo. I’ll stick to my Virtua Boy and the next fifty versions of the game boy, thank you very much!

Tom, remember when Nintendo invented the controller we all use now? The fact that it’s different is good.

I wouldn’t say it’s inherently good that the controller is different — different for different’s sake is no good. But, to me at least, Nintendo has proven their ability to take an input device that previously was misused or underused (touch screen) and make a great game…

…And yes, I am in fact talking about “Kirby’s Canvas Curse”. Seriously, that game rules.

11. Jason says:

Wii should be pronounced WHY-EYE (like WiFi). If it isn’t pronounced that way, then we should quickly invent something that should, patent it, and make a ton of cash. Cause, that, my friends, is a winning name.

Then again, there is the unfortunate Mo mix-up…

“Why I oughta…”