Around the ldopa.net offices* we’ve found these 12$ (shipped!) Cyclone USB2 adapters to be insanely useful. If you have a bare IDE drive, what you used to have to do to scrape the data off or just temporarily use the drive would be:
- turn off your computer.
- set the IDE jumper to “top” or “bottom” or something.
- open the case.
- install the drive in the case.
- plug in the power cable.
- close the case.
- turn on your computer.
- pray everything worked ok; if not, reverse all these steps and change the jumper setting.
- when done, reverse all these steps and remove the drive.
There’s got to be a better way! Well, now there is:
- plug the IDE drive into the cyclone USB adapter (and the supplied power adapter if it’s a 3.5″ or 5.25″ drive).
- plug the whole ugly mess into your computer.
…totally worth the $12 if you have any IDE drives lying around.
* ldopa.net offices may contain trace amounts of non-existance.