in praise of myspleen.net

January 23rd, 2006

I don’t know if the first rule of the unfortunately-titled myspleen.net is “Don’t talk about myspleen.com”, but just in case it is, I’m not going to directly link to them. You’re going to have to type the URL yourself — I hope you don’t break a finger or something, Judy Jetson. Anyway, the reason I bring the site up is that I think it’s got a commendable credo; it’s a torrent site, sure, but what sets it apart from the torrentcabana.orgs of the world is that there are no illegal torrents allowed on the site. At all.

That’s not to say it’s all 1930’s copies of “Popeye and Abbott & Costello vs. the Wolfman” or utter crap like that; there’s modern stuff on the site, but if you can buy it, you won’t find it linked. I think that’s an admirable philosophy. I found an excellent DVD of Zach Galifianakis’ old show “Late World with Zach” using the site, and the only reason it was on the site was that it’s not available for sale — apparently Zach ran out. And recently the oft-rumored 1970’s “Star Wars Christmas Special” was available on home-brewed DVD via the site*; a labor of love if ever there was one. Check it out.

UPDATE: OMFG Chris is so right. Article fixed.

*which, by the way, turned out to be unbearably, toxically awful, and even friends with highly-developed resistances to irony and camp were forced to turn away from the screen in disbelief.

42 Responses to “in praise of myspleen.net”

While I agree they have a great array of comedic excellence from the Muppets to MST3k to Mitch Hedberg to– What? What is this? Muppet Babies??

They also have good sci fi picks but they have NO BATTLESTAR GALATICA. I’m not going to fault a free site for not having something, but BATTLESTAR GALATICA, people!

FINE I guess I should get around to watching “Battlestar Galactica”. I tried “Serenity” last night and it was good. The first 70 minutes were good, anyway…

…so, ok, I fell asleep. But still: pretty good, if a little “New Adventures of Han Solo”-y.

3. chris says:

Its myspleen.net and it’s not a big deal to talk about, just don’t mention other sites that require invites, thats lame! I guess myspleen.com will take you there but its still cool to talk about! F-Da-FCC and the MPAA! it’s all about the fair use!

4. chris says:

Oh yeah, and if you want Battlestar Galactica, buy it on iTunes music store ya cheap bastard! its 2 dollars! thats cheaper than cigarettes, a gallon of gas and even a 40 oz.

5. charles says:

Hey Hey Hey dont even talk about Serenity until you watch Firefly. DONT PUT DOWN THINGS YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT!

6. cr4ckr0ck says:

fuxX0r yeah!
    the spl33n has got it all!
    if its a classic… unavailable fer sale…
    or if it was just on tv

7. Gonzo says:

Ya the spleen is so awsome! MST3K, Venture Bros., Spaceghost Coast To Coast, What More could you ask for. Ya charles, thats true, firefly is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!

8. Martin says:

This post is a little misleading. MySpleen does offer *many* titles that are available for sale, particularly (but not limited to) MST3K titles that are readily available on DVD. Hell, it even offers DVD rips, complete with extras.

But it’s still a terrific site, and I encourage everyone to go there. But I also endorse piracy.

9. D.E.M. says:

You might want to check out http://www.dapcentral.org/ for the most complete source of MST3K goodness, but they do hold to the “no commercially available shows” creedo.

But still, I think 95% of MST3K is unavailable commercially, so there’s tons to choose from :D

Yeah. Firefly. Sigh. We hardly even knew thee. Even after owning the set and watching each episode a bazillion times.

11. bryan says:

hey if anyone could send me an invite to this site, id appreciate it

it seems pretty awesome

12. Danny says:

could someone send me an invite please?

13. reggie says:

no get stuffed Danny

14. Deniz says:

I need an invite too please! I need to get my Late World with Zach fix. Anybody that can help me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

15. Danny says:

Cheers reggie..

16. ADam says:

can someone please send me an invite – much appreciated

17. Doug says:

Hey guys just found out about this site nad it sounds truly awesome. I have plenty I will willing to share, if anyone can please send me an invite for I can start upping!

18. Mofogo says:

I could really use an invite to this site. I used to have an account but after it changed over it is apparently not active any more. Could someone help me out?

19. Rogue says:

I’m looking to post my bands new album up on MYSPLEEN, our last album post was a great success.

Anyone with an invite PLS PLS let me know.

I reformatted and lost the ol login.

If you have an extra one pls let me know… zordon2002@ hotmail dot com.

THANK YOU!!

Have an awesome 2008.

20. a says:

can someone plz send me invite i have some old nick shows i could offer aswell mistro@hotmail.co.uk

21. Gargamel says:

you guys are idiots.

Myspleen does not allow any commercial releases and they do not have any official dvd rips of mst3k unless they happen to be out of print…

The only MST3K rips they have are unofficial releases from DAP and that is all.

Also, Rogue, you’re a retard. It’s not that type of site… your bands album would be deleted off the tracker in no time.

22. Alan says:

I could really use an invite too, if anyone has one please email me shin_levia@yahoo.com

23. Tim says:

I’m trying to get some of the old star wars stuff. Can someone send me an invite? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

24. debo says:

I would relaly like an invite to the site if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated, looking for some older tv shows not available for resale.

ogflint@gmail.com

25. procul says:

Would appreciate an invite – share ration 4+ at thebox, 5+ mininova
    many thanks
    procul9@yahoo.com

26. darko6 says:

hey i could use an invite too haha…i wish someone would freely post their log in somewhere on the internet but i guess not =/

hit me up with an invite at xbuckethead@gmail.com

27. kendy says:

please invite me…
    kisskendy@hotmail.com..i really need to find
    “bedknobs and broomsticks” and “murder by death”

28. jimmy says:

I have loads of old british stuff that people might wanna see, mainly 80s 90s television, some of it’s really great. Could use an invite, jimmyhunterj@googlemail.com

29. BassPlayer says:

I would love an invite if anyone could help me out. I have several things I can upload too…and I keep a great ratio on all my torrent sites!!

bassplayer14@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

30. MasterCylinder says:

Could someone send me an invite, I have tons of captured video goodness to share!

donfishelli@yahoo.com

31. host says:

invite plz? i have about a TB of stuff to %^Q%

uppman421@yahoo.com

32. Dolfd says:

Can I please have an invite to myspleen.net also? I need Gerhard Reinke’s Wanderlust and this is the only place to get it since Comedy Central is the devil! Please Help.

33. Dolfd says:

of course i forget my damn email

fdileague@hotmail.com

34. kevbo says:

I really want to see the Late World with Zach. I bought his dvd that had a little bit on it a while ago but I need more. Could someone please send me an invite? Thank you very much.

diedonromero@gmail.com

35. woodygirl says:

I would LOVE an invite as I have searched everywhere for Wanderlust and really would like to get a copy!
    Thank you!
    kmlodzik@gmail.com

36. deadbrownie says:

i would love an invite as well. i am looking for some older television shows that will probably never get releases.

charlie476@hotmail.com

37. JesusDidn'tDoIt says:

i need an invite i want late world
    i also can seed some unreleased adult swim stuff

38. JesusDidn'tDoIt says:

i need an invite i want late world
    i also can seed some unreleased adult swim stuff

Yamcha _01@hotmail.com

39. gRoKkErS says:

Hello, I have a bunch of old Nick shows that I’d be willing to share in exchange for some others I’ve been looking for that aren’t available on DVD yet. Would appreciate an invite.

grokkers@hotmail.com

40. Frogg says:

Hi there i am Very Sorry to have ta be another person to Ask this!
    I am Begging For Someone out there to PLEASE invite me in to the MYSPLEEN. NET sight.
    As i have Been Searching for the Old EXIT 57 Comedy skit’s for months now and i keep hitting dead ends every where i go on the Net.
    I would so Very Much Appreciate an invite to MySpleen.
    Cheers Frogg :-) Frogg_1969@hotmail.com

41. David G says:

Could someone send me an invite? Thanks.
    wolny.login@wp.pl